Sunday, November 30, 2014

Because Nice Matters

I realize I am long overdue for a post. I have missed having this positive light to brighten my life. I actually posted this on Facebook several months ago, but thought it was a very appropriate addition to my blog. :)

Being kind is a principle I remember being taught from when I was very little. My parents always stressed the importance of taking good care of people. My grandma taught us the phrase, "because nice matters", meaning that being kind is ALWAYS important. It matters to you, it matters to those to whom you show kindness, and it matters to God. EVERYONE deserves kindness. We should never mistreat someone just because we disagree with their actions or their choices.
I came across this blog post** a few months ago on Facebook, and enjoyed reading it. It caused me to contemplate the opportunities I have had to be kind in the past, and the many opportunities now and in the future to be kind to people. I was inspired by what he mentioned in the beginning about Benjamin Franklin's philosophies on kindness. Each day he would ask himself two questions. One in the morning: "What good shall I do this day?" and one at the end of the day: "What good have I done today?" These two questions set a framework for action and inspire reflection. The first question proves to God that you are willing and ready to serve and love His children, and He will bless you with opportunities to do so. The second question enables you to reflect on the experiences you had that day, to be grateful for the successes you had, and make a commitment to improve on your weaknesses the next day.
The author of the blog post mentions one of my favorite hymns. The words invite you to reflection:
Have I done any good in the world today?
Have I helped anyone in need?
Have I cheered up the sad and made someone feel glad?
If not, I have failed indeed.
Has anyone’s burden been lighter today
Because I was willing to share?
Have the sick and the weary been helped on their way?
When they needed my help was I there?
I firmly believe that one of the best ways we can serve God is to serve His children. He sent us here to earth to help each other. Lives can be changed and saved when we behave kindly toward our brothers and sisters. When we let love guide ALL our actions, we can't go wrong. God's infinite love stretches to all of the human race, and we need to bring that love to those who are struggling to find it. Please. Be kind. Don't let those opportunities pass you by. Love. Why? BECAUSE NICE MATTERS.

No comments:

Post a Comment